Nature Therapy

by Virginia Millet

This week a powerful energy has been unfolding all around!  We are witnessing the “greening” of the world as Springtime ushers its way into our consciousness.  Throughout this season we are given a potent reminder that Life goes on.  The beauty we experience in the multitude of flowers and trees in bloom brings us much solace, refreshment and renewal if we let it.  Springtime helps us tap into the resilience which is a part of our own true nature as well.  It helps us put our trust in Life once again!

A reflection I read this morning speaks of such trust in Life.

Tian Dayton, PhD, writes: “I believe in this world; it is the place that I have been born into, and I love the breeze and the grass, the sky and the water.  I have an intimate exchange with nature—I feel held and nourished by it.”  

She goes on to affirm her trust by saying “I believe in people; they are the species I belong to.  I recognize that underneath our superficial differences we all want and need the same things.  I believe that truth and goodness will prevail.  I have experienced and seen more healing than I thought would ever happen… I see small things as deeply meaningful and I am moved by a power that I cannot explain but that I sense inside and out…  I believe in Life!”

My prayer for our community today:  

May we be open to trust in the unfoldment of Life.  May we be renewed by the wonder of the natural world around us.  May the way forward be revealed to us when we see no way.  May we discern the choices that are Life giving for us, for all.  Amen.

Practice: 

Engage in your own Nature therapy.  Take note of what is blooming in your neighborhood, or on a daily walking path, or in your back yard.  You may be surprised by something which has come into bloom unexpectedly on a particular day!  Pause for a moment, give thanks, take a picture of it on your phone so that you can return to the moment, experience the joy, become refreshed. 

[1] Virginia Millet has been the Chaplain to the Women and Infants Center at UAB MEDICINE since 1996.